Regional Queensland insurance specialist, Sure Insurance, today urged North Queensland householders to apply for grants under the Household Resilience Program that provides financial assistance to help protect homes against cyclone damage.
The Queensland Government has provided an additional $20 million for a third, three-year phase of the Household Resilience Program with applications for grants open from this Monday 1 August 2022.
Eligible home owner-occupiers are able to access a grant of up to 75 per cent of the cost of resilience improvements, up to a maximum of $11,250 including GST.
Managing Director of Sure Insurance, Bradley Heath said the Household Resilience Program provided a financial incentive to eligible householders in cyclone-prone areas to install a range of approved works to protect their homes.
“Owner-occupiers in homes built before 1984, and located within 50km of the coastline from Bundaberg to the Queensland/Northern Territory border may be eligible for a grant – so I urge householders to fully explore assistance available under the Program,” said Mr Heath.
“Householders who install cyclone resilience measure to their homes are able to lower their home insurance premiums with Sure Insurance.”
“Where the likelihood of damage to a home is reduced through resilience measures, the cost of insurance on the property is reduced – less risk equates to less premium – it’s as simple as that.”
“Sure Insurance understands North Queensland is prone to extreme weather events and believes incentivising householders to make their homes more cyclone resilient and to prepare for events will further assist in reducing insurance premiums,” said Mr Heath.
Additional information, eligibility criteria and how to apply for a Household Resilience Program grant, visit: https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/financial-help-concessions/household-resilience-program
“Through installing resilience measures not only will householders be able to access insurance premium discounts, but also enhance structural safety and potentially add significant value to the home,” Mr Heath said.
Sure Insurance provides its Policyholders with the following premium discounts for home resilience works:
• Complete roof replacement, with Form 16 compliance, with relevant building regulations 30%*
• Original roof cladding replaced and sarking installed 10%*
• All windows – cyclone shutters 10%*
• All windows – plywood coverings 5%*
• Aftermarket roller door bracing installed 5%*
• New roller door installed post-2012 5%*
• Ridge caps upgraded or roof re-screwed 5%*
• Sheds / Outhouses cyclone rated and anchored to concrete slab 5%*
• Shed / Outhouses cyclone kit installed and anchored to concrete slab 5%*
*Discounts apply to the cyclone component of your premium. Minimum premiums apply.
POLICY BENEFITS DESIGNED FOR REGIONAL QUEENSLAND:
• Up to $10,000 in household mitigation improvements following major damage caused by cyclone, flood or bushfire.
• Up to 18 months of temporary accommodation.
Further information contact Mike Sopinski on 0421 052 598.