The Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology Australian Tropical Cyclone Outlook for 2021 to 2022 showed an average to slightly-above-average number of tropical cyclones expected for this year’s tropical cyclone season (November-April).
Bradley Heath, Managing Director of Sure Insurance said, “We believe one of the ways to make insurance more affordable for north and far north Queenslanders is to reduce the amount of potential damage to homes through household mitigation measures.”
“Protecting your home is important and that’s why we have introduced the ‘Built for North Queensland’ household insurance premium discount program.”
“By undertaking household resilience measures not only will you be able to access insurance premium discounts, but also enhance structural safety and potentially add significant value to the home,” Mr Heath said.
“We understand these measure come at a price – and we take into account under our ‘Built for North Queensland’ program any work done on the home to protect against flood damage or cyclonic winds, and adjust the premium accordingly.
“Sure Insurance prices household premiums based on the specific circumstances of the individual property, and our regional specialisation and technical underwriting capabilities has delivered average annual household premium savings of over $1,900 per customer across Central, North and Far North Queensland.”
“We urge regional Queenslanders to be prepared for possible cyclone and storm events and to consider adding resilience works to their homes,” Mr Heath said.
- Complete roof replacement, with Form 16 compliance, with relevant building regulations 30%
- Original roof cladding replaced and sarking installed 10%
- All windows – cyclone shutters 10%
- All windows – plywood coverings 5%
- Aftermarket roller door bracing installed 5%
- New roller door installed post-2012 5%
- Ridge caps upgraded or roof re-screwed 5%
- Sheds / Outhouses cyclone rated and anchored to concrete slab 5%
- Shed / Outhouses cyclone kit installed and anchored to concrete slab 5%
- Permanent barriers installed 20%
- Automatic barriers installed 20%
- Flood resistant doors and windows 10%
- Anti-backflow valves installed 5%
- Gutter guards installed 5%
- Bushfire sprinkler system installed 30%
- Up to $10,000 in household mitigation improvements following major damage caused by cyclone, flood or bushfire.
- Up to 18 months of temporary accommodation.
Further information contact Mike Sopinski on 0421 052 598.